Wheeler Farm CX Race

Last race at Wheeler Farm this year. The weather was sunny again, a little chilly, I'm still waiting for that muddy cyclocross race this year. The course was fun as always, there actually was one muddy section, pretty much unrideable from my perspective. I felt good, I was still hyped up because the Jazz beat the Lakers the night before. The Lakers are the team that everybody wants to beat, and the Jazz played fantastic.

Anyway, I had a good start, got tangled up with Sager again as usual. No time lost, really, it's funny how the two of us get tangled up on a regular basis right after the start. After the first off-camber section, Sly (who had a great start) crashed on the gravel and Bart was able to open up a little gap on Sager and me. I rode with him the first lap, but noticed that he was not on top of his game today. I pulled away on lap 2, feeling good, I was hoping to somehow get back up to Bart. I was about 15 seconds back, the time gap stayed pretty much the same, I made up a few seconds in one lap, but went back to the old time gap later on. I had a pretty good gap on Sager and Gallagher, who were chasing from behind. With two laps to go, my front wheel started to feel a little wobbly and I noticed I had a flat. I was pretty bummed, there were a lot of turns that you could normally ride quite fast, and I had to ride on my flat for almost a lap to get back to the pits. I was able to hold off Sager and Gallagher, but after the wheel change I lost my rhythm and Sager was able to pass me on one of the last corners in the race. 3rd is not bad, I felt good and it was a fun race. Still 2 races to go this season, I'm hoping for some mud. Or snow. Or both.

No comments: