E 100


This is what happened to me at the Breck 100 a few weeks ago. I jammed my derailleur into the spokes and ended up running (or walking) the last 3 miles of the 100 miler. I should mention that even with the derailleur stuck in the spokes the Reynolds wheels still run perfectly true! It was the first time that I did a 100 mile race so I was very conservative with my efforts.

The E 100 was different. I wanted to go out hard and do well, since this race took place at my home turf and I was feeling good.

Didn't even consider it would be dark at 6am at race start, but luckily was able to organize a head light. I didn't turn it on right away, because I had no clue how long the battery would last. So I stumbled into the dark with my cooler to find the feed zone. I found it 5 min. later, but it took me another 10 min. to find my parked car since my night vision isn't all that grand.

I did make it to the start line on time and off we went at 6 am sharp. I don't think my heart rate has ever been in the 180s that time of the day, but I felt really good. It was a blast riding up John's trail in the dark and then later experience the sun rise on a bike going across the mid mountain trail. It made the hard effort a little easier. The pace was high with Josh Tostado in the front, Tinker, myself and Chris Etough right behind him. Tostado and Tinker decided not to stop at the feed zone after stage 1, so they were able to build a 20 sec. or so lead going into stage 2. I could see them right in front of me climbing up Holly's trail at the Canyons but didn't want to turn myself inside out just to catch up to them. There's still about 70 miles to go I told myself.

We spotted a moose on the way to the Canyons. The cool thing about these races is you actually notice things like that and you're able to talk and share those experiences with the people you're riding at that moment. A little different than the tunnel vision you get during a XC race.

On the way back from the Canyons Tostado and Tinker took a wrong turn and so I ended up with a 4 min lead after stage 2. I was glad the mid mountain stages were over since I much rather prefer the steady climbs like Spiro. I was able to hold on to my lead after stage 3, coming through the feed zone my legs still felt good, my back and neck a little sore. And then, about 5 1/2 hours into the race, bam, I hit the wall and was done. I don't know if it was not enough food or what, but I just couldn't continue up Spiro even in my granny gear. Oh well, that happens sometimes, sure felt good to have the lead, even if it wasn't for the rest of the race. Maybe some day!

2 comments:

Tsunami said...

Nice work !!!
Looks like maybe you found your niche ------ long distance races ?
Not bad when you can push Tinker, I think we need a nickname for you,
How about Tooma ? I had a laugh when you wrote Tinker took a wrong turn, as I recall, your sense of direction kind of sucked for awhile too. Has that improved ?

TS said...

Tooma has a bit of a negative touch to it, don't you think? My sense of direction has always been superior (kiddding); it's a little easier here in pc; you either go up the mountain or down - no rolling hills; i don't know if my sense of direction has improved, though