INTERMOUNTAINCUP #2

So Brandon Firth and I decided last minute to go down to Hurricane and do the Cholla Challenge. It gave me a good excuse to get out of work Saturday night and so we left early Saturday towards Hurricane. We made it just in time to sign up before they closed down same day registration. We even had time for a 10 minute warm up. I was excited because it was the first time that I was able to race my new Cannondale Taurine. It's Cannondale's carbon hardtail version and it's super light. I rode it the day before for the first time and it climbed like a mountain goat, no excuses if I didn't do well in the race.
The gun went off and I actually got the whole shot, unfortunately I only lasted up on the front for about 30 seconds. I didn't even feel too bad on the first climb, but after about 20 min. my body just shot down. I really haven't bonked that early in a race, but that's what happened. I started going backwards. I couldn't get myself out of the hole and even mentally I was totally fried. I just couldn't get any positive thoughts into my head so I just pedaled half heartedly around the race course. I came sooo close to dropping out but at least I hung in there for a good training ride. I got passed by a good amount of expert riders that started a few minutes behind me and I think I finished about 20 min. down on the winner's time. I haven't sucked that bad ever since I started racing. Well, it'll give me some good motivation to train harder. I don't want to disappoint my new team, Mona-Vie/Cannondale, especially since we're getting great support this year. Hopefully next race report will be more positive!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can change you're mental status. It takes strength of will and commitment. Maybe the commitment part is a problem for you!?

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes we just don't have it regardless of how fit we are. Our body's are smarter than we are and they have a keen way of letting us know when it's time to take it easy. Way to finish it out though.